The Right Moment
The opponent is off balance or pushing to his front in a defensive posture (bent at the waist).
- Slip your left foot deep between his legs, heel first, so that it falls in front of your own right foot.
- Take a straight fall onto your back and under your opponent.
- Bring your right shin into his inner left thigh so that the back of your foot hooks around his left buttock.
- Raising him from below with your right leg and using the pull of both hands, throw your opponent over your head and to your left.
- Follow your opponent by rolling over your shoulder and onto him for a pin.
Here is a video demonstration of sumi gaeshi.
Return to the Judo Information Site This page is copyright © 1998/2004 by Neil Ohlenkamp, JudoInfo.com, USA. All rights reserved. Last modified March 4, 2004.