By Neil Ohlenkamp
10) The referee borrows a pair of glasses from the corner judge.
9) The referee argues about whether he can bring his walker on the mat.
8) Your opponent’s sleeves are folded up to the elbows, and the referee doesn’t notice.
7) The referee keeps going up to Japanese fans and asking if they are Yasuhiro Yamashita.
6) He still thinks the pistol grip refers to a technique in the Goshin Jutsu.
5) Your opponent has gotten up 3 times before the referee decides that the first throw scored ippon.
4) The score reaches 3 waza-ari to 2 waza-ari, and you’re still fighting.
3) The referee carries a stop watch to time 3 seconds for newaza.
2) During meetings the referee and corner judges exchange money.
and the number one sign you’ve got a bad referee…
1) After the match, the referee can’t find his shoes.